Friday, January 7, 2011

I did it (pretty much)!!!

so, last week I came to the quick realization that I'm doing a poor job of sticking to a budget! I mean, you can't help saying hello ... and a quick good-bye to the money when you're paying bills and buying groceries! but, I want to be a little more intentional in my spending (hello, buckets full of scrapbook supplies ... but I haven't scrapbooked since Jericho was a baby). so, last sunday I made sure I had everything I absolutely needed: diapers, formula, groceries ... and made a decision. a big decision. a huge decision. an earth shattering decision (ok, that's a bit dramatic).

I decided not to spend any money for a "week"!!!

let me clarify. when I say a "week", I really mean five days! as in monday through friday.

but, when I say "spend no money" - I do mean that. as in, nothing. as in, nada. as in, I was going to not purchase a. single. thing. NOTHING.

it was a goal. it was a challenge to myself. and, I'm happy to report: I did it! (pretty much, almost, ok - not quite ... but sooooo close). I still feel very accomplished and I feel like I did it. that counts, right? let me tell you, five days is a long time. I usually have to run some sort of errand or just end up going somewhere every day! I also figured that this challenge would save me money, as it would mean I mostly stay home= gas savings!

I went no where monday. no where tuesday. wednesday I had to go out - I had to go talk to my cake making friend about Zoey's cake and also deliver something I was giving to a friend (I've been cleaning out house!). thursday I had to go out - I had to take Zoey to physical therapy - and yes, going "to town" was a little more difficult, taco bell was calling my name, but I resisted. and then there was today. oh friday. I had to go out - I had to take Zoey to her "one year well baby" doctor visit. no problem, easy. but what do you think my husband asked me to do today? if you said pick up burger king for lunch, you guessed right. I told him I couldn't. no. NO. no way. I CAN'T! I was almost to my goal and I couldn't break it now. he convinced me that it didn't count, as it was his request. ok - I can go with that. so I did it! but I wasn't done with my errands, I had to run to town to pick up Zoey's new dress - which, btw, I heart SO much - my friend went along. she helped me with the boxes of stuff I was giving away. she bought me a burrito (yum, and I still haven't spent money). she made me go into Michaels and Pier 1 (talk about testing me).

and then, she reminded me that my parents picked up
stuff I had requested from IKEA this week.

aw. curses. curses I say!

I knew there was a reason I wanted my parents to make that IKEA trip next week. now I'm trying to convince myself that that still doesn't count, since I haven't spent any money (technically, yet). so, I'm going to go with I pretty much accomplished my goal, but maybe not quite. either way, it was a great week spending and gas use wise! and that's good with me!









No comments:

Post a Comment