Monday, May 2, 2011

ceanothus silkmoth ...

as I was headed out to the commissary on saturday, I turned back because I had forgotten something ... as I approached my front door something grabbed my eye ...

it was amazing! I've never seen anything like this before - and there was no way I wasn't going to take some photos of it! Annicka knew right away it was a moth and she tried to tell me it was very rare and she couldn't believe it was here! I looked up what it's called and it sounds like they're somewhat "native" here in Cali! never the less, it was a sight to behold - for us anyway!
the photos don't express the size of this thing either ... it was huge! I'd say it was about five inches across with it's wings out (which, upon looking it up - I found out that's just about right). Annicka had me "catch it" but I was firm that she was to let it go right away. I left for my shopping trip and she took it, in the bowl, to the back yard. she told me later that it flew away shortly thereafter. what a wonderful thing for us to experience - and it's so right up Annicka's interest alley! I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment