Thursday, October 28, 2010

fall field trip ...

yesterday was another first: I finally got to go on a field trip with one of my kids! Sad, right - Annicka is in fourth grade, but I've never been able to go with her (not that there's been tons, but still).

We went to an apple orchard, that just happens to grow some pumpkins too! It was really fun! It was Jericho's first time on a school bus - he was seated with a classmate and when he saw me walking toward him he was all smiles ... how sad his little face was as I sat in a seat, his smile totally dropped - then his head dropped and he looked like he was going to cry. I asked the teacher if he could sit with me and it was all better - I guess I was happy to know that he wanted to sit with me! It was a fun ride - being high enough to see all sorts of things you can't see from a "normal" vehicle!

Once we arrived we had a little lesson on how to pick apples and then they let us loose! I had Jericho and one other little boy, so it was definitely not overwhelming ... just lots of adventure and fun. Jericho was so proud of his first pick - I had to share the pic (which meant my odd form of blurring out a face - sorry).

When our apple bags were full it was time to go over to our assigned pumpkin patch and pick a little pumpkin. Jericho chose several before settling on the perfect pumpkin. He'd pick one up and either declare it too heavy or say it was good, carry it around for a few minutes, then set it down and continue his search!

We put the apples in backpacks and put the pumpkins in a big bucket to go to school (they're decorating them tomorrow). Had some play time on the hay bales (a good photo op - but too many faces to blur) and then it was back on the bus we went. We weren't able to do the second part of the field trip, which was going to a park and eating lunch - several of the kids were bummed, including Jericho, but we didn't have time (the bus had been quite late, as apparently they forgot - good one).

Back at school there was one last treat (which was meant for the park as well) ... one of the little boys had cupcakes for everyone, as it was his birthday! Annicka even got to have one - lucky girl!

... and that was our wednesday adventure. I'm so glad I finally got to go on a field trip, it was a special time for me and my little guy: sitting on the bus together, picking apples, taking photos, all the memories to share at home - good times!






No comments:

Post a Comment