Thursday, February 18, 2010

two steps forward???

well, that didn't last long! you'll see below what I discovered at my late afternoon visit today, that darn ng tube is back! Apparently there WAS a minimum Zoey needed to eat each day (even though the "first" nurse said there wasn't) and last night's nurse mentioned she was three ounces behind. She still gained, but only 10 grams (about 1/3oz) - which is "ok". When I left this morning they mentioned maybe having to use the tube again, but it was so weird cause at the same time they've been really "encouraging" me to nurse (and I did this morning, she did ok - but I'm not sure how long it kept her satisfied). Last night's nurse also changed to regular formula to fortify (she said the polycose can cause diarrhea and Zoey had pooped three times since she had been on shift, which was less than an hour), but today they were back to polycose. I gotta tell ya, it's so annoying dealing with all the inconsistencies of different nurses - sometimes it seems each nurse just does what they want to do! Since Zoey got to UCLA they eliminated the haberman bottle right away (by the time Gary and I got here that night) and were using a standard nipple - I think slow flow. Then they were using a standard regular flow. Then it switched between the slow and regular. Then the occupational therapist said she really did better with the NUK and that she should use that - that only lasted a day and this morning they were back to the standard regular. Then tonight it was a standard slow flow - UGH!!! That's the main issue at this point for Zoey, the eating/gaining weight! It seems to be the thing that she takes two steps forward then a step (or two) back - it's like a see-saw! In other news, I completely forgot to mention the surprise I found in her diaper on monday ... her belly button stump - lol! Yes, it finally fell off and she has a cute little belly button! She's still just as precious as can be ... there was word of her maybe coming home this weekend, but now with the feeding I just don't know - I'm certainly not counting on it! Keep up the prayers all!

also: just fyi - Zoey is 8lbs 7oz and I did hear that the thyroid came back fine!


my cousins made this - isn't it awesome!
My aunt and cousin (technically it's my cousin's daughter, that's a cousin
right?) came and visited and got to see Zoey - but we didn't get any pics :c
sleeping beauty - yesterday

this morning - sporting the ducky gown from Nana


and this afternoon

1 comment:

  1. I guess this hasn't posted to FB yet. I was getting impatient! LOL!

    I think you should demand that they communicate better and decide what she needs and stick to it! Of course, sometimes things will change, but that is an awfully lot of change! It doesn't all sound necessary to me. Maybe you could talk to the doctor about it and have him "order" certain things?

    She's just so cute, and she looks so different than she did just a week or two ago! You are getting some great pictures and great documentation. I know this must be very frustrating and difficult at times, but this WILL pass. You're doing great!

    (Cindy)

    ReplyDelete