Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Christmas Eve!

can you say happy christmas eve?
"no. ... hmm."!!!

I was trying to get Liam to say it, so I could write
how cute it is that he says "Prismas"!
(most of his "c" words become "p")

I have a couple things to share just now! The first being how we spent our Christmas Eve, Eve!
I was just about to feed Zoey her dinner when the phone rang, it was our housing phone system calling (with a recorded message) to say that an unscheduled power outage would be taking place, due to a transformer blowing ... really? great.

the kids and I were in somewhat of a state of panic. you see - there's not a flash light to be found in this house. (the kids get a hold of them and either break or lose them) oh, and we have candles - oodles of them, all partylite! but, they never got unpacked and I had no idea where the box of them was. that's when MOPS saved the day, sort of. see, back in October our craft was cute little fall/halloween inspired candle holders - that each came with a tealight candle ... and, being that I'm unorganized, they were still sitting on my computer desk from that night I brought them home. awesome, two tealight candles ... now how shall I light them? you guessed it - I couldn't find a match, or any of my lighters, to save my life.

by this time I was wondering if the power outage was really going to happen, after all we still had power. I decided to go feed Zoey so that if we did lose our lights at least she would be fed. I was about five bites in when everything went dark, and by dark I mean BLACK. we couldn't see ANYTHING. nothing.

I told the kids to stay still and just not move, so no one would bump into thing or each other. I did know where my cell phone was and decided the only thing to do was feel my way to it and it would be our light source. by this time the glow in the dark door handle locks were visible, but that helped very little - other than letting me know I had gone to far, as I had passed the table and was at the closet, lol. just as I found my cell phone I heard the hubs come in the door - our light in shining armor (ha ha, he had his cell phone - I guess the power went off right as he pulled into the driveway).

he was brave enough to use the bbq grill as a source of fire to light those two candles. and he knew where the box of partylite candles were, too. I had gotten all the kids to the living room, where I thought of our little battery operated Christmas decorations that flash colors (thank you 99¢ store) and I got those turned on. I then got both Zoey and Liam into some warm jammies - since we wouldn't have heat. soon daddy had us all set up with the two laptops for light - and I gave them my ipod to watch the one episode of Adventure Time that I had on there!

of course, I snapped a few pics of all this. I have to, it's just in me to take pictures of the everyday things. hubby brought more candles down and soon we had light in the kitchen, bathroom, and more in the living room. apparently I had a poor choice of episodes and it wasn't such a good one for Liam. daddy saw that one of the laptops had 41 minutes of power and got us hooked up with some toy story 3.

eventually the laptop quit and it was getting late (the power was out for almost two hours) and so I headed up to bed with the boys. I figured I'd just stay in there with them until power returned, and maybe they'd actually fall asleep. we had just barely got settled when the lights came back on.

I'm not gonna lie - I really hate it when we lose power, especially at night. but we always make the best of it and I have a feeling those will be some memories the kids hang on to for a long time to come.




I did just one with the flash.


moving onto this morning ...
the big kids had gone on a bike ride with daddy (he just walks/jogs along with them) and I was busy working on cleaning the kitchen and then vacuuming the dining room when I heard them return. hubby came in waving his arms and telling me to come outside quick. ugh - do I have to. I'm trying to clean up and I'm still in jammies. so, I followed him out and to my surprise, there was Jericho - riding his bike without training wheels!!!

you know what I did next: I ran for the cameras! I knew two years ago that if Jericho just tried, he could do it. but he wasn't quite brave enough to try. well, I guess Gary saw that the training wheels were what was causing Jericho's difficulty to pedal, so he decided to just take them off. from what he told me, it was the classic "don't let go, don't let go" and then he did let go, and Jericho said "hey, I'm doing it". he was absolutely beaming, as you can see in these photos.










now let's rewind nearly a week for a minute. last saturday Annicka was blessed with an early Christmas gift - a new bike! I'm not too proud to tell you that I had signed her up for a program that gives bikes to military kids. You see, her bike was so ridiculously small for her that I sold back at my last yard sale ... only to realize just how expensive a bike her size is (she's nearly as tall as me, so the "kids" bikes don't work any more for her). I didn't know quite what I was going to do about replacing her bike, until I heard about the bike program. So, I signed her up.

two weeks ago I heard the news that she would be receiving not only a bike, but a helmet too! I got the certificate and all the instructions on where to go and what day and I decided to keep it a surprise from her. I was surprised at her reaction when we were pulling in and I gave her the certificate to read, I honestly thought she was going to be thrilled (she's been pestering me about a new bike for weeks), but for some reason she was blah about it. I don't know if she was just expecting something else or what (I had told her I had a surprise for her). I was disappointed, though, and I told her so. she changed her attitude quickly, and though she was being shy - I could tell she was so happy to be getting a bike her size!

I didn't get many pics there, but here's one:
she was itching to ride it the second it got to our house (my friend brought it in her truck, how nice was that) but it was raining. and it continued to rain ... all week. so - today it was finally sunny and nice (that's probably why daddy thought a walk/ride would be perfect) and she finally got to actually ride her brand new bike!



No comments:

Post a Comment